Monday, April 1, 2013

Gapminder

I think gapminder could be a really helpful and handy visual to use in my classroom one day. It allows the students to see statistics of many subject areas and over a long period of time. I like how you can choose the information you do and do not want to see. This is a neat website. I used gapminder to look at the countries of China, the United States, Finland, and Mexico. Since I am very interested in education I chose to look under the category of education. I decided to compare these countries under the topic of percentage of boys who completed primary school. Although Mexico shoes steady improvement and is constantly rising they are still the lowest with 71 percent. China does significantly better in the category. China comes in at 96 percent. They remain in the same area of percent without decline or improvement. Next, the United States come in very close with China at 98 percent. This does not really surprise me, this is around where I would expect us to be. Finally, with no surprise Finland comes in on top with 104 percent of completion. I figured Finland would be on top which is why I chose them to be in the comparison. Gapminder allowed me to easily make observations about these statistics.

No comments:

Post a Comment