Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Dirty and Dangerous Side of Tech

Before reading this article I never really thought about what may be inside of my computer or smartphone.  Honestly I would not have thought about poison being inside of these devices.  However, I learned that after my use of the device is over the real harm begins. Three major events take place and can be very dangerous.

Mining is the first of those events.  During the process of mining land is destroyed which results in poisons being released.  The next event is manufacturing.  Someone's job is to put these devices together.  That person most likely comes in contact with these poisons.  The final event is end life.  Most of the time when we "recylce" our old devices only the wanted parts are taken out and the rest of the device which contains poisons is just thrown away.

Even though some poisons have been banned new unknown products are being used.  In efforts to reduce the amount of poisons we could buy these new devices less often, see how environmentally friendly the device is, and recycle the device yourself so you know it is in the right place.

After reading this article I am now aware of the many dangerous poisons which are inside many of the devices I use daily.  I learned it is important to use these devices carefully. Also, when it come time to get rid of the device I should properly dispose of it myself.  I should also make efforts to be conscience of what devices I buy and how often. 

5 comments:

  1. I totally agree. I felt basically the same as you after I read the article this morning. I also stated that I will do more research and be more responsible of where my old phones end up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's kind of scary being around technology everyday and not knowing what it's doing to use on a daily bases.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah I agree with you on how dangerous technology really is and how much information people really know about it. I guess that is why companies are willing to buy your old phone back from you when you are finish with it. Anything is better than nothing

    ReplyDelete
  4. I felt the same way. I never would have guessed that there were so many harmful things in technology and that so many people were exposed to harmful elements when making them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It was very shocking to me when I read the article. I never thought there was harmful chemicals in our technology devices that could make us sick. It makes me think to always look further into getting something before purchasing it.

    ReplyDelete